Welcome to SketchBetter Kids, our younger branch!
We run a weekly after-school Art Club at Surbiton Hill Church from 4-5.30pm every Thursday. The club runs during term term and can be booked as a course or as drop-in weekly classes.
“SketchBetter is great – everything that we do is really nice because when we do something, like if I was making a card, you don’t have to do it just like the teacher does… you can do it in different ways.” Aurora, age 6.
- Introduction to Pencils – know your 2H from your 2B
- Introduction to Charcoal – draw, smudge, blend
- Introduction to Clay – design your own cactus gardens
- Observational Drawing – take off your shoes
- The Art of Marbling – swirl your way to beauty
- Story Spheres – draw how you are feeling
- Perspective – draw things in the distance
- Gigantic Experiments –draw around people
- Gesture Drawing – meet Mr Manikin!
- Pastel Drawing – create your own chameleon
- Big Pastel Cats – layer vivid colours for a big roar!
- What is Sculpture – build something from nothing
- Matisse Cut Outs – vivid paper collage creations
- Group Mural – an abstract creative challenge
- Cardboard Challenge – what can you build from card?
- Colour Theory – can you make colours?
- Pointillism – learn how dots make pictures
- Photomontage – make an image move
- How to Make Origami Stars – attention to detail required
- Introduction to Weaving – spiral a disc
How it Works
The Art Club takes kids on a journey through the nature of creativity and human imagination. There are experiments, collaborations, projects and mindfulness. Kids learn craft skills, such as marbling and perspective drawing, as well as life-long creative skills such as empowerment, resilience, confidence and empathy.
Each class opens and closes with a calming mindful activity and includes group and individual elements. Children are given their very own sketchbook and are encouraged to bring them to each class for peer feedback – introducing them to self-directed study as well as how to talk about their own work and ideas.
- Creativity: Create and try new things, in innovative ways
- Resilience: Bounce back after a challenge or mistake
- Empowerment: Believe in your own ability and that of others
- Strengths: Focus on the things you and others are good at
- Empathy: Show kindness to yourself and listen to others
- Mindfulness: Participate and focus on the moment
We offer personalised home-based Art Tutoring for children (4yrs+) across Surrey. Contact Kate at email@example.com for prices and information.
We offer an after-school club to local schools in Kingston Upon Thames and can design a set of lessons ahead of time for parents to know what is on the schedule.
We are designing SketchBetter Studios – an in-school studio and curriculum – in partnership with an Ofsted Outstanding primary school in Kingston Upon Thames, which begins in Sept 2017.
Contact Kate at firstname.lastname@example.org for enquiries. Call on 07766 658517 to book SketchBetter for your school.